COOKING Oven fries: our 3 tips to make them crispy without too much fat!
When you have an irrepressible craving for fries, you have to satisfy it! We reveal for you some manufacturing secrets to make succulent and low-fat french fries. That is the demand of the people ? Definitely fries…
Nothing better than a good oven fried potato to accompany a tender piece of meat or the good Sunday roast pork. Ketchup and mayonnaise reveal its taste comfortingher soft flesh to heart and crispy on the outside… No really, we haven’t done anything better than homemade fries ! Matches, bistro or Belgian style no need for a fryer to successfully cook this popular dish… With the right tips and little fat it is indeed possible to easily achieve delicious oven fries. We tell you everything to prepare them according to the rules of the art.
1. Which potato varieties for good fries?
The lovers of French fries are formal: the potato variety Bintje is most definitely the best for making french fries at a time fluffy and crispy. With a shape that is longer than it is wide, its mealy flesh, rich in starch and low in water, this tuber from the Netherlands is the hardcore star for good fries! Other varieties like the Agria, the Caesar or the Victoria are also recommended. Their high starch concentration makes it possible to obtain a excellent resistance to cooking. They also have the advantage of do not absorb too much oil !
To vary the pleasures, let yourself be tempted by sweet potato fries or discover this other tuber which is more digestible than the potato for more fries light ! If you feel a little lost once in front the supermarket aisle Where the market stalltrust the instructions on the packaging. Mashed potatoes, gratin or sautéed potatoes, each recipe has its own variety of potato.
2. What is the best cut for successful oven fries?
If you prefer a variety of potato oblong and regular in shape, as is the case with the Bintje, then it is easier to make regular potato sticks. Indeed, to obtain beautiful evenly cooked friesit is recommended to cut them in strips of the same thickness using a very sharp knife. Their cut may vary depending on whether you prefer thin friesmatch type, or thicker, bistro style. When cooking, also be careful not to stick them together. on the hob. Arrange them on parchment paper with a drizzle of olive oil and give them space so that they can brown on all sides.
3. How to cook for crispy and soft fries?
The fries purists strongly recommend that you adopt the double firing technique which allows to obtain tender meat fries and ultra-crispy. The first one steam cooking removes part of the starch contained in the potato, this will allow fries to brown more easily once baked!
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Place your fries sticks previously peeled and cut into a steamer or in a steamer basket over a pan of hot water for about fifteen minutes so that the center is still crunchy. Remove excess water with a clean towel.
- Then place the pre-cooked fries on a baking sheet with parchment paper. You can season them with your favorite spices (oregano, paprika…). Bake for 20 minutes.
- Salt the fries as soon as they come out of the oven and serve them hot as an accompaniment to meat or a vegetarian burger!