Galette des rois: the easy and delicious recipe for the vegan galette
For Epiphany, what could be better than a delicious homemade galette des rois without any ingredients of animal origin to start the year in style? Moist, tasty, simple and quick to prepare, it is ideal to please everyone, vegans, non-vegans and vegan-curious.
- 2 vegetable puff pastry sheets (many vegan puff pastry sheets are commercially available – thicker ones are recommended)
- For the bravest·s, you can make them yourself, for example thanks to this recipe for Pearls in sugar.
- 250g ground almonds
- 200g icing sugar
- 20g cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons vegetable margarine
- 20 cl of almond, rice or soy cream
- A few drops of bitter almond flavoring (and/or an optional tablespoon of rum)
- 1 broad bean (a whole almond can do the trick)
- 1 additional tablespoon of margarine for gilding (can be replaced by neutral oil or agave syrup for gilding
- Start by preheating the oven to 200°. Press one of the two puff pastry sheets into a round container, poke holes in the bottom with a fork and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Mix the ground almonds, icing sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl before adding the margarine (previously softened) and the bitter almond flavoring, until obtaining a homogeneous preparation.
- Spread the filling in the bottom of the pie and place the bean in it (neither too much in the center nor too close to the edges), before placing the second puff pastry on top. Lightly moisten and join the edges of the two doughs, then cut off the excess. The remaining dough can be used to decorate the top of the galette.
- Draw patterns (geometric or floral) using a knife, toothpick or other sharp instrument. Also poke a few discreet holes in the pancake for more even cooking.
- Bake the galette in the oven at 180° for about 30 to 40 minutes or until golden. Watch your galette, because the cooking varies according to the ovens and the dough used. After 5 minutes of cooking, you can spread a tablespoon of vegetable butter or vegetable cream over the entire surface of the galette to obtain a nice brown and crispy golden colour. A tablespoon of agave will give a brighter and sweeter finish.
- Serve your galette des rois warm, shortly after it comes out of the oven and don’t forget the crown for the lucky one·winning·e of the bean.
Good tasting and happy vegan Epiphany!