learn how to make a successful homemade puff pastry
What would a good Lorraine pie or pâté be without a good puff pastry? Aline Mangin, pastry teacher at the CFA in Nancy, offers you her recipe for successful puff pastry every time. 100% foolproof guarantee.
The Festival of Lights 2022 in Lyon
Indispensable in both savory and sweet cuisine, puff pastry requires skill and method.
To ensure an unmissable puff pastry, what better than to go to a pastry teacher. At the Nancy CFA, Aline Mangin teaches a course in puff pastry in small groups for Succulent!.
This enthusiast, who loves the sound of this preparation that crunches under your teeth like snow under your shoes, gives us a complete step-by-step guide to making the simplest version of puff pastry a success.
Essential learning that will give cooking enthusiasts the basics to embark on more complex recipes and ever more crispy creations.
A recipe and an encounter to be found on our show * Succulent !, broadcast on Saturdays at 11:25 a.m. on France 3 Grand Est, Bourgogne-Franche-Comté, Hauts-de-France and Centre-Val-de Loire.
500g T55 flour
10g of salt
375 g unsalted butter, as firm as possible
- Make the initial tempera by mixing the flour, salt and water little by little.
- Mix by hand, making larger and larger circles, until you obtain a perfectly homogeneous preparation. Use the palm of the hand without hesitating to break the dough, reform it then renew the operation until obtaining a nice elasticity.
- Roll out the resulting dough and wrap in the butter, closing it like a wallet.
- Roll out the dough, fold it in half, roll it out again, fold it over and roll it out again.
- Repeat the previous operation twice, letting the dough rest for 20 minutes each time. This is the famous rolling inseparable from puff pastry.
- Once the rolling is finished, roll out, that is to say, roll out the dough until it is three times longer than it is wide.
- Let the puff pastry rest for 20 minutes before using it as you wish. For example to make a Lorraine pâté.
In order to be sure that the initial distemper is quite homogeneous, it is a good idea to pinch it to check its elasticity.
Enjoy your lunch !